New perspectives of “Aktau – Beineu” road
“Zhol – Sapa” LLP is a Project Management Consultant for “Beineu – Aktau” road reconstruction in Mangistau region, funded by the Asian Development Bank under CAREC Investment Program. Construction of this road attracts a keen interest not only from residents of Mangistau oblast, but also in the road industry experts as this Project is about construction of new road compliant to international standards.
At the request of www.zholsapa.kz editorial Mr. Krishna Chakhun (pictured), Team Leader of Project Management Consultants “Zhol – Sapa” LLP came out with the Project details.
– Krishna, thank you for your consent for the interview. First, tell us about yourself, please. You are, in fact, international specialist employed in Kazakhstani company.
– I am native of Nepal and arrived to Kazakhstan from London. I have been working as highway engineer since 1982. Before that I worked in Moscow, London, Baku and other countries.
– You speak Russian very good.
– I managed to learn the language mainly through the work in Russian speaking countries.
– Now, please, tell us about the Project of “Aktau- Beineu” Road Reconstruction in Mangistau region.
– The Employer is the Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The total length of the new road is 430 km, reconstruction of 370 km of which is funded by the Asian Development Bank and represents a part of the project. The rest length of 60 km is constructed with the use of internal resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan and separately carried out by “KazAvtoZhol” JSC.
I should add that reconstruction of this road is divided into Tranche-1 and Tranche-2.
Tranche-1 is the road section of 200.5 km (Manasha river – Shetpe village).
Roads of Tranche-1 belong to the second technical category, I mean these 200.5 km will be two-line highway. Construction Supervision Consultant is a Korean company «Dohwa Engineering Co.» and Contractor for construction is a Turkish company «Alsim Alarko». Construction works commenced in June 2012 and is expected to complete in 2014 despite the fact that the scheduled completion of construction is planned for March 2015. Currently, the road section of 111 km of 200.5 km after completion of base and binder course was put into operation. Also, construction of 54 of 115 culverts has been completed in this section. In 2014 procurement of 1.15 million tons of crushed stone has been planned, of which 0.57 million tons has been already procured.
Road construction will also significantly reduce the travel time. It is expected that a trip from Shetpe village to Beineu will reduce from 6 to 2 hours. In addition, vehicle density will increase. If now, on average, 500 vehicles passes per day on this road section, after completion of the reconstruction traffic will be 1,000 cars and trucks. Opening of the new road will reduce travel costs from about 64 to 43 cents. These figures must be constantly monitored and maintained in such a way in 2014. Besides, emerging social and environmental issues will be resolved. Now, no complaints from population registered.
It will be an important effect to create a computerized road asset management system provided by a framework agreement with ADB. This program will be started in 2015, after completion of necessary preparatory work in 2014.
– How will be constructed the second part of “Aktau – Beineu” road?
– Section of 169.7 km “Shetpe – Zhetybai – Aktau” belongs to the Tranche-2. Work commencement at this section is scheduled in 2014 and completion will be in 2017. From 169.7 km 86.7 km belongs to the 2nd technical category. The rest of the length of 83 km between Zhetybai village and the city of Aktau belongs to the first technical category, that is, it will be four-lane road.
Currently, procurement of works and appointment of consultants for supervision for this section have been completed. We expect contractors and consultants to sign a contractual agreement by the beginning of May 2014.
As well as after completion of the reconstruction of the first part of “Aktau – Beineu” road, travel time between Shetpe village and the city of Aktau will decrease from 3.5 to 2 hours. Traffic dencity at the section of Shetpe – Zhetybai will increase from 1200 to 1700 cars and trucks. And at the section of Zhetybai -Aktau traffic will increase to 5,600 units. It is expected that after opening of new road transport costs also will be reduced from 64 to 43 cents. The number of road accidents will decrease from 69 to 45 per year.
– Thank you for the interview.